Saturday, July 13, 2013

Confessions of a Cluttered Kitchen

Confession #1: The Dark Side

I'm normally an optimistic person, but housework brings out the worst in me.  Disorganization drives me batty.  

Right now, my kitchen (and the rest of the homestead) is in complete disarray.  Previous moves were into empty homes where the task was simple:  fill the place with our stuff and organize it how I want.  This time, it's our household on top of my mother's lifetime of accumulations.

Last night while planning for today, I decided my goal for this week was to get the kitchen under control.  I made a list of annoyances and promised myself I would have them all checked off by Sunday next.  

The Problem

My list is everything that is wrong with my kitchen.  When I pulled out my list this morning, I recoiled and immediately went into procrastination mode-putting off the ugliest tasks until later in the week.  My post-coffee motivation and excitement for the beautiful day had vanished.

The Lesson 

Last night I was being ungrateful.  This morning, that ungratefulness sprouted into procrastination.  What I have ended up with is a recipe for a bitter end to our week:  a stressed out mama and wife, unhappy kids and husband, and a goal not met.

The Solution

  • Scratch the Irritations List.  Make an Opportunity List. (What does my kitchen have to offer?)
  • This is a Home Ec project I can include my daughters in.  Looking at things as a learning opportunity for the kids is like putting on a pair of rose colored glasses for me.
  • Remember the why.  My greater purpose behind it all is to create a better life for everyone involved.
In other words, I need to look at the bright side.

Do you have a confession to make about your homesteading journey?  It's your turn to share!

Happy Homesteading!
Mrs. Redd














No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to add?